Friday, June 4, 2010

Free Time

Today I had some time to myself while Evan slept and the girls were at various activities. It was awesome...know what I did? I cleaned their room. Now, many of you probably wouldn't want to do that with so-called "free" time...but it is refreshing to me. I love simplifying their lives and making it easier for them to play in that space. I want their toys in reach and I don't like it when they get so overwhelmed with "stuff" that it is hard to find the favorites. I usually do this once or twice a year and they hardly, if ever, notice the stuff I have taken away. While many see this as significantly limiting their choices, I see it as giving them opportunities to more fully explore the choices they do have. They will tell you that they notice a sense of peace in their room and they notice the space to do Legos or Lincoln Logs or whatever. It calms them. Plus now Megan has her own Meditation Area, which she has wanted since reading the book Peaceful Piggies." I'm happy to give it to her.

I would post a picture, but my father broke my camera...are you reading this, Dad?? We need a new camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment