Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Is it working?













I just wanted to update people on something we have been working on. For over a month now, Erin has been on a diet that has had absolutely NO artificial colors in it. None. This has been a lot harder than it sounds for a kid who goes to as many activities as she does--most of which serve snack and provide juice for the kids. We manage by making sure she has her own juice box and snack when she goes somewhere and so far, she hasn't felt too different. It was a huge challenge at Christmas with all the cookie decorating and gingerbread house making, but we got through it.

Anyway, the point is that lately, Erin has had a TON more patience and self-control. She was doing an activity today that resulted in some frustration--but instead of throwing her pencil or book (which could very likely have happened in the past), she simply said, "ARGH! Mommy, this is very frustrating! Can you please help me?" I was so proud.

Is it the artificial colors or is she simply outgrowing her perfectionist stage and gaining self-control in the process? I'm not sure. But I've done a lot of research on the artificial color debate and I'm convinced it is not something we should be putting into our bodies. Maybe it is working, maybe not...but for now, for us, we will continue to keep them away from her.

(One should note that as I'm typing, I'm hearing shouts of "IT'S NOT FAIR" coming from the basement. I guess as much as you can have self-control, it isn't always easy to be the big sister!)

No comments:

Post a Comment