Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thinking of my friend...

Three years ago today, a mom who I didn't know at the time, was rushed to the hospital in a desperate attempt to save the baby she was laboring with. Her home.birth had gone horribly wrong with complications that nobody, nobody, could have predicted. Her beautiful little girl was born via c-section and, despite attempts to revive her, died on the same day of her birth.

I met this mom a few months later at a support group for babylost families in western MA. She is an incredible woman--beautiful, strong, compassionate. I found myself drawn to her amazing personality. We have kept in touch through email and if I ever have a babylost mom in my area who has questions that I know she could answer, I never hesitate to call her. I'm thankful that there are people with her strengh in the world.

Since her loss, she has given brith to an amazing, living, little boy and she parents him directly from her big, big heart. This little boy just turned one this past fall and he has never left his mom's side--something so many people have criticized about her parenting and something that I highly agree with and wish more people could do. She is a fantastic mama!

Birdie, your mom loves you and misses you. You have had a tremendous impact on the world and I hope your mom can find some comfort in that. But not today--that comfort will come later--today is her day to grieve and remember what it felt like to hold you in her arms.

Thinking of you today, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment