Friday, April 30, 2010

Last day to feel guilty...

Here it is, the end of April. National Poetry Month is over tomorrow and I no longer have to feel guilty about not managing to get a poem up. I thought to end the month I would post one of my new favorite poems. It was written by a poet out in California--his name is David Sullivan and he actually used to be a middle school teacher in NH. I know this because he was my teacher for both 6th and 7th grade. He was one of those really important teachers in my life--influential, kind, excited about teaching and caring towards all his students. He was really and truly a fantastic individual. Anyway, he moved out to California shortly after I left middle school and although we may have exchanged a few letters here and there, I really lost touch with him by mid- to late high school. I heard about him once in a great while from a mutual friend of ours, but I never really bothered to get back in touch first hand.

Then Sophie died. And I got the most incredible empathetic letter from this mutual friend who told me that David's third baby, a little girl, had also died just before her due date. I was heartbroken for them and, of course, sent them a letter. It was then that I found out the David had written this book of poetry with a whole section devoted to his little girl. This poem, about taking down a house of dreams, is one of my favorites. So here it is:

A House For Luna Maria


House of grasshoppers and mud,
dusted white with spent pollen.

Expectant house of what-will-never,
of we-shall-see.

I unbuild it painstakingly.
Unstrip the paint.

Pile the screws in boxes.
Each thing labeled:

shutters, shingles, bricks,
the unused furnace's bulk.

Windows of sea glass. Cupboards
of chipped teeth and driftwood.

House of less-than--
given to the sea.

House her in dust motes
and sand, wheat chaff and flotsam,

birdcalls and birch bark, so I forget.
Then let the wind do its work.


That poem is from the book "Strong-Armed Angels" by David Allen Sullivan; published by Hummingbird Press in Santa Cruz, CA. Copyright 2008.

Thank you for reading my annoying poems all month, we will now get back to our regularly scheduled blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment